Author: Alex Delaney
Living in rental homes can sometimes feel like you are in warehouse housing. Neutral colored walls, white thin blinds, linoleum flooring, all create a house that resists the definition of home.
But it doesn’t have to be that way. You can claim your space as your own without violating your lease. With these simple steps, you can make your rental feel like a home without breaking the bank. And the best thing is, you can take these items with you when you move:
1) Plants are a great way to add character and color to a dull space. They also improve air quality. Whether you like small, low maintenance cacti, or spreading philodendron, there is a plant perfect for you. And they go with you when you move! Make sure you place them in pots on a saucer to catch any water run-off that might damage the floor. Tip: Check out Grower’s Outlet in Snellville for great pricing!
2) Blinds can block out, or let in the sun. But with all of the patterns available these days, they can also create a sense of style. Available in a variety of fabrics, as well as bamboo, you can even choose pleated blinds for extra character. Make sure to save the original blinds so when you move out you can take your special ones with you.
3) Cabinet knobs come in a wide variety of styles and finishes for your kitchen and bath, from crystal to silver, black or gold, from old fashioned to contemporary, to wow!, you’re sure to find a style to please you. While they can run up in costs, these are another item you can take with you. And deals can be had at antique malls, on Wayfair, and your local hardware store’s sales days. Make sure to store the original ones for replacement when you move.
4) Fixtures for kitchen sinks and bathroom showers are often lower quality in rentals. These too can be switched out and saved for when you move. But make sure you get the help of a skilled worker as you don’t want to create a problem with leaks where none existed. Watch for a Bed Bath and Beyond special, or see what Amazon is offering on Black Friday.
5) Area rugs are great ways to bring a big splash of color into a dull, neutral room. While these can also be pricey, you can find a wide variety of runners, area rugs, and full-sized room rugs at a low price at Ollies Bargain Outlet.
6) Switch plates are another easy switch. From elegant to kitschy, you can transform a room with the right switch plate. This is also a great option to show your own artwork. Purchase some cheap switch plates and paint, cover with contact paper, glue gun your own design, the possibilities are endless!
7) Create a backyard wonderland with low-cost tiki torches, available at dollar stores, hardware stores and big box stores.
8) Is space an issue in your new home? Not to fret. Walmart, Dollar General, and plenty of other places offer cute squared baskets and fabric covered boxes that are great for organizing your pantry, kids play area, bathroom cabinets, and more!
You can also check out TikTok, Pinterest, and Youtube for great crafty ideas that will help you claim your new home as your own.